SERVING MZANSI NESTLÉ RECIPES WITH LOVE THIS EASTER
Easter celebrations have officially begun as South Africa’s most loved brands NESTLÉ RECIPES WITH LOVE, NESTLÉ COCOA and NESTLÉ KLIM have put together some great recipes for you to try at home. ENJOY!
Linefish (Hake) with Creamy Lemon and Caper Sauce
Serves – 4
Prep – 15 mins
Cooking Time – 30 mins
- 4 x 125g Fish Fillets (Hake)
- 3 Tbsp (45ml) Oil
- 1 Onion, chopped
- 2 Garlic cloves, crushed
- 2 Cups (500ml) Basic Creamy White Sauce (see recipe)
- 3 Tbsp (45ml) Capers
- ⅓ Cup (80ml) Green Olives
- Fresh Thyme and/or Marjoram Leaves
- 1 Lemon Sliced
- Salt and Black Pepper to taste
Basic Creamy White Sauce
Makes – 2 cups
Prep Time: 5 minutes
Cooking Time: 8 minutes
- 2 Tbsp (30ml) butter
- 3 Tbsp (45ml) cake flour
- ½ cup (125ml) fish or vegetable stock
- 2 cans (240g) NESTLÉ DESSERT & COOKING CREAM
- salt and black pepper to taste
- Melt the butter in a pan and whisk in the flour. Cook for 2 minutes.
- Add the hot stock and keep whisking. Gradually add the cream and cook for 3-4 minutes. Season with salt and pepper and set aside.
Cook’s note: stir in 1 cup grated cheddar cheese to make a cheese sauce
- In a pan heat the oil and sear the fish for 2-3 minutes per side. Transfer to a plate and keep warm.
- Return the pan to the heat and fry the onions and garlic for 4-5 minutes.
- Add the cream sauce, capers, green olives and herbs and cook for 2-3 minutes.
- Return the fish to the pan and cook for 4-6 minutes, depending on the thickness of the fish. Squeeze the fresh lemon and place remaining slices over the top and garnish with parsley before serving.
Giant Chocolate Cookie Pudding
Prep 30 mins
Cooking Time 30 mins
- 160g butter, at room temperature
- 150g demerara sugar
- 1 egg
- 125ml NESTLÉ KLIM
- 60 ml NESTLÉ COCOA POWDER
- 15ml vanilla essence
- 250g cake flour, sifted
- 5ml bicarbonate of soda
- ½ tsp of salt
- NESTLÉ Smarties and Easter eggs, to decorate
Vanilla ice cream, to serve and chocolate sauce
- Preheat the oven to 180°C. Grease a 25cm round baking dish or pan.
- Place the butter and sugar in a large bowl and beat until fluffy, then add the egg, ideal milk and vanilla and beat to combine.
- Add cake flour, bicarbonate of soda and salt and mix together with a spatula. Transfer the mixture to the prepared baking dish and smooth the top. Stud the top with smarties.
- Bake in the preheated oven, about 15 – 20 minutes until cooked on the outside but soft inside. Serve warm with vanilla ice cream and chocolate sauce.
Makes – 2 cups
Prep – 3 mins
Cooking – 2 mins
- 60 ml NESTLÉ COCOA POWDER
- 30 ml NESTLÉ KLIM MILK
- 125 ml castor sugar
- 5 ml fine salt
- 250 ml warm water
- 15 ml vanilla essence
- In a cold saucepan, sift together the NESTLÉ COCOA POWDER, NESTLÉ KLIM MILK, salt and sugar until all lumps are removed. Gradually whisk in warm water and bring to a boil on a stove top, over medium heat.
- Reduce to a simmer; stirring constantly to avoid burning at the bottom. Simmer for about 1 – 2 minutes and then remove from heat. Let cool and then add vanilla essence.
- To completely cool down, Pour into a glass jar and refrigerate until needed. Enjoy!
Cooks Tip – The chocolate sauce will be very thin when it finishes reducing, but it will thicken quite a bit as it cools.
HERE’S WHAT WENT DOWN AT THE #DELIGHTFULLYMZANSI VIRTUAL COOK-OFF
The Easter #DelightfullyMzansi virtual cooking showcase which took place on Thursday March 25 at Nestlé cooking studios in Bryanston.
The three iconic brands were the stars of the cooking showcase which was headed by Chef Sizwe Cebekhulu. The cook-off saw popular actor Nkuli Tshirumbula, and the much-lauded social media content creator Christo Thurston turning the heat as they, along with select media joining virtually, prepared delightful Easter meals to celebrate the four-day holiday.
As palates rose in anticipation, the chemistry between the cooks was infectious as they were trying to work out the recipes. It was evident that they all had a genuine passion for cooking and a desire to become better cooks, if not for themselves then to delight their loved ones during special occasions. The beginning of the cook-off saw the cooks prepare a decadent chocolate pudding for dessert which was paired with a creamy linefish as the main course meal.
The action-packed showcase produced mouth-watering dishes and here are highlights: